Booking at a Private Visit – step-by-step guide for Permitted Applicants
A step-by-step guide covering everything from booking exams to receiving results.
- Create your account if you don’t have one already.
- Check booking periods and exam sessions.
- Make sure you have the venue code from the Visit Organiser.
- Have all your candidate information ready:
- Name - as it should appear on the mark form and certificate. This must exactly match the name on any candidate ID document needed for the exam. Find out about candidate ID.
- Dates of birth
- ABRSM Contact ID – for candidates who have been entered before using our new online service.* Find out about Contact IDs
- Subject and grade or level
- Any specific needs access requirements or reasonable adjustments
- Any alternative ‘presented by’ name
- Email address for the candidate (or parent/carer) – optional for Private Visit bookings. Find out why we ask for a candidate email address.
* For candidates in China, Hong Kong, Macao, Malaysia, Singapore and Taiwan you will need their National ID number, not their ABRSM Contact ID.
- Log in to your account and select ‘Private Visit’.
- Enter the venue code supplied by the Visit Organiser.
- Select the visit and enter your candidate and exam details (including any access requirements or reasonable adjustments and any alternative ‘presented by’ names). You can enter these directly into our exam booking service or you can use our bulk upload option to add a list of candidates. Find out more about bulk upload here.
- Check you booking summary and pay for your exams.
- We will send you an email to confirm your booking and payment
You can add candidates to a Private Visit at any time during the booking period.
Make sure all details are correct before confirming and paying for your exams. You cannot go back and make changes once you have submitted your booking.
- Private Visit confirmation – we confirm the visit once booking has closed. We then email you to let you know that you can log in to view exam dates and times. Candidates with an account also receive a confirmation email.
- Final dates and times – the Visit Organiser may rearrange the timetable for instrumental and singing exams and will confirm final dates and times with you.
- Questions about the visit – if you or your candidates have any questions about the visit, such as asking about changing an exam time, please contact your Visit Organiser.
- Cancelling an exam - applicants can cancel an exam through their account. If you cancel an exam within 14 days of booking we will refund the full fee. Find out about cancelling exams.
- Amending a candidate’s booking - you cannot change exam or candidates details once you’ve paid for the booking. However, we can make some small changes for you. Find out about amending candidate details.
- Results and certificates - we email applicants when results are ready to view online. This is usually within a week of the exam for instrumental and singing exams and around four weeks after the exam for paper-based Music Theory exams, subject to quality assurance checks.
Candidates with an account will also receive a results email seven days after the applicant.
We send certificates to the applicant by post. Find out about results and certificates.
- Appeals and feedback – our policies and guidance for making appeals or sending feedback are available here.