ABRSM working with Hubs and Services
Through its Graded Music Exams and its Products and Services, ABRSM sets out to inspire musical achievement and is proud to work in partnership with Music Education Hubs and Music Services across the UK.
From primary and secondary school classroom music making to instrumental learning as well as through ensemble experience and performing opportunities, Music Education Hubs and Music Services have a vital role to play in the ecology of music education, helping to ensure equitable access and opportunities for progression for all children and young people.
ABRSM works closely with Music Mark in England and are pleased to sponsor the Music Mark School membership programme. In Scotland we enjoy working in partnership with HITS (Heads of Instrumental Teaching Scotland).
How can we support your Music Service?
Our Regional Development Executives work closely with many Music Services, offering support and advice on everything from helping you transition to our new booking service to new syllabus resources and teacher CPD. Get in touch today to find out more about how ABRSM can support your organisation.
London, South East and East England: James Welburn
South West England & West Midlands: Sarah Walker
North West England, East Midlands & Yorkshire & Humber: Kerry Baldwin
North East England: contact the team
Scotland and Northern Ireland: Jenna Main
Wales: contact the team
From 1 February 2020, we are pleased to introduce ABRSM Extra, a new initiative to support music services in the UK. ABRSM Extra is free to all music services in the UK and offers a range of benefits including:
- Welcome pack containing goodies and a range of information relating to our products and services
- A free INSET session delivered by one of our team of examiners
- A free set of selected new ABRSM exam publications for your library
- Access to an annual summary of ABRSM exam entry data for your music service
- ABRSM Extra is open to music services in the UK
- In England these are usually (but not always) the lead organisation of a music education hub
- In Scotland these are the Local Authority Instrumental Music Services
- In Wales these are a mixture of council and independent music services
- In Northern Ireland this is the Education Authority Music Service
- Each service must have an ABRSM Contact ID to sign up to ABRSM Extra
- For services that currently enter candidates for exams with ABRSM directly, you will already have a Contact ID if you have signed up to our new booking service – please check with whoever makes your exam entries for confirmation of your Contact ID
- For services that do not enter candidates for exams with ABRSM directly, the Head of Service should create an account with us here to obtain a Contact ID
- To join ABRSM Extra, the Head of Service should email the local Regional Development Executive (or the contact given above) with the subject line ‘ABRSM Extra’, quoting your service’s Contact ID
- We will respond to you within 5 working days and welcome packs will then be sent
- ABRSM will endeavour to provide one complimentary INSET session over a two-year period subject to presenter availability on your requested date. The current two-year period will run from 1st February 2020.
- INSET requests should be submitted with three months’ notice in advance of the requested INSET date. Requests with less than three months’ notice will be considered but are less likely to be accommodated due to the volume of requests we receive.
- ABRSM will handle INSET requests on a first-come-first-served basis and therefore we would encourage you to submit your requests as early as possible.
- Where possible please provide more than one date option.
- ABRSM INSET includes sessions listed on the ABRSM website: https://gb.abrsm.org/encourses-and-events/inset/
- If ABRSM is unable to meet your request, we will endeavour to offer you an alternative.
- ABRSM will provide a complimentary copy of selected exam publications for syllabuses publishing from February 2020 onwards.
- Publications will be posted out twice a year.
- ABRSM will include books published by ABRSM Publishing featuring exam pieces and supporting tests but will not include books published by third parties.
- ABRSM’s selection of publications is final.
- ABRSM will provide you with an annual data summary relating to entries made using your service’s Contact ID
- This data will include a comparison of your exam results against the national and regional averages
- ABRSM is only able to provide data relating to your own Contact ID – if your teachers make entries under separate Contact IDs, we will not be able to include this data in your annual summary
- If you do not make any entries with ABRSM as an applicant under the name of your music service (using your Contact ID), we will not be able to provide an annual data summary
Term and terminations
- ABRSM Extra is effective from 1st February 2020 and ABRSM reserves the right to discontinue this initiative at any time