Singing for Musical Theatre competition
Record yourself singing Pure Imagination to win a set of Singing for Musical Theatre Songbooks.
Calling all singers to the stage!
Would you like to play the character of Willy Wonka and be the owner of a chocolate factory?! Record yourself singing Pure Imagination to win a set of ABRSM’s Singing for Musical Theatre Songbooks. You might also get a feature in our competition showreel!
To take part, complete the form below to download the sheet music and a piano backing track, record your singing and send us your video. The competition is open to everyone – all ages, abilities, soloists or troupes can take part. Razzle Dazzle us!
This competition opens on World Theatre Day (27 March) and closes on 9 April. Five winners will be selected at random.
Follow the step-by-step guide to make sure your entry is valid:
Download competition material
Complete the form below to receive a download code for the sheet music (PDF) and a piano backing track.
Practise singing the song to the backing track, so you’re familiar with the music and to prepare you for the recording. Make sure you use the key specified in the sheet music so that it matches the backing track. And don’t forget to give it some razzmatazz!
- Find a quiet place, and avoid filming with a window behind you
- Set up the camera in landscape mode to film your performance
- Please don’t play the piano track out loud, use headphones to listen to it, and make sure you can hear your own voice when singing
- You can find further recording tips here
Send us the video
- Send your video via wetransfer.com/ (you don’t need to register or create an account, it is free to use)
- Simply put [email protected] in the “email to” field, and your name and country in the “message” field
- Please include a signed parental consent form if you are under 18
We will draw five winners at random one week after the competition is closed, and contact them via email to send out the prize. We are not selecting winners based on their vocal performance. Everyone has an equal opportunity to win as long as their entry is valid.
But that’s not all, folks. Once the competition has closed, we will release a showreel featuring a selection of competition footage! The showreel will take centre stage on our YouTube and social channels. We hope to include as many entries as we can in the showreel but it may not be possible to include everyone.
Please note, this is not an exam and you will not be able to submit this video for exam purposes.
Break a leg!
Register your interest to get competition material
ABRSM Singing for Musical Theatre Songbooks include a unique choice of songs from our Singing for Musical Theatre syllabus. With each book containing 12 songs across Lists A, B, and C, this series is an essential collection for exam preparation. They can be used for both Practical and Performance Grade exams at Grades 1 to 5.
Featuring all-time favourites to lesser-known classics, these Songbooks will inspire everyone who loves to sing.
Finally, things to bear in mind:
- Costume, make-up and props are not essential, but would be encouraged. Understand the lyrics and tell your story through song - use your imagination!
- You can sing by yourself or with someone else, for example your sibling(s). Singing with another person counts as one entry and if you win, there would only be one prize.
- You cannot use part of your Performance Grades video to enter this competition, and vice versa you cannot use this competition video for your Performance Grade exam.
- You may not use the competition materials for any other purpose.
Enjoy singing and we look forward to receiving your video!