ABRSM Licensing Holiday to 17 July 2020
ABRSM recognises how important it is for teachers and their pupils to continue with one-to-one instrumental lessons wherever possible during this period when face-to-face lessons can’t happen.
In order for you to be able to use ABRSM books and resources, we are offering a licensing holiday from today until midnight on 17 July 2020 for 1-2-1 lessons using ABRSM publications via secure video conferencing platforms, such as Skype, Zoom, and MS Teams. This means you will be allowed to scan or copy and share music and other content from any ABRSM publication without having to hold up a book to the camera. There are a few rules to observe:
- ABRSM can only give permission for you to copy the works we own: these are easily identified by the ‘© ABRSM’ copyright line at the bottom of the first page of each specific piece of music.
- ABRSM will permit the copying/scanning of ABRSM publications only for the purposes of sharing these copies between the teacher and pupil during the private lesson.
- ABRSM cannot permit uploading of recorded one-to-one lessons onto public platforms. This is beyond the scope of the rights holiday we are offering (please note separate rule for UK music services/hubs and schools below).
Filmed Resources (UK Music Services/Hubs and schools only)
ABRSM recognises the value of filmed resources containing ABRSM copyrights for music teachers and their pupils, particularly during this time of remote teaching. We are therefore including in our licensing holiday from today until midnight on 17 July 2020, the non-precedential permission for music services/hubs and schools to upload user-generated filmed footage of ABRSM copyrights to their website or YouTube channel. It is the responsibility of the provider of this content to acquire any other online rights, which may be necessary. For the sake of clarity, this specific non-precedential licensing holiday cannot, unfortunately, apply to private teachers, individuals and/or commercial enterprises of any nature.
There are a few rules to observe:
- ABRSM can only give permission for you to film and upload performances of the works we own: these are easily identified by the ‘© ABRSM’ copyright line at the bottom of the first page of each specific piece of music.
- ABRSM’s logo must not be used.
- The following copyright acknowledgement must be included in the end credit: “This film is made available by permission of ABRSM, 2020.”
We will update you on the status of this rights holiday, but in the meantime if you have any queries, please contact [email protected]